Sunday, May 3, 2009

PCB workshop

PCB... Printing Circuit Board. What is it??? Open up your PC and look inside. You will find something that looks like below.

PCB Board

So, in the workshop, I'm going to learn how to do that but of course its a simple one. Not as complicated as the above. We decided to call it Running Light but Marcus named it Christmas Light. LOL

The beginning process is quite hard as we need to design and arrange the circuit components and in this case, size of the components matters.

Before getting to do so we are taught how to use the EAGLE software.

Mr Chan conducting the workshop.

After learning how to use, we start to draw the schematic and arrange the components ourselves. Just to do so, it took me a day to get it all done.

My Schematic

After drawing the circuit, components shall be arranged based on your own description. Anywhere you want. So I decided to make a formation since I have Light Emitting Diode (LED). Position and position and position.Fuyoh, can naik gila do so. This is because of my laziness, instead of using the manual routing, I used the auto routing. I'm like dunno how to walk but already want to run.

What's routing???


From the picture above, the blue lines are actually the part where the current will flow. To draw such line is called routing. So auto-routing means let the computer o the work for me la. But!!! its not easy when it comes to routing, the components arrangement will cause a lot of effect on the routing. That's why, it took me a day to design a simple circuit. Hopefully this experience will give me a better planning in the future.

So after design, go and print out using a laser printer and photostat the document onto a transparency and the process starts.

Get to play with all sorts of cutter, all sorts of chemicals mainly Sodium Hydroxide and some acid (I forgotten), get to play with UV light, hand drills and also see a RM35000 water filter. O.o

So after all that long process.........

Here is my board :


After that, I must drill holes on the board to insert components into it. There are two type of driller provided.

The machine driller that I seen once in the KH lab

OR

Hand held drill

So which to choose??? Well I chose the Hand held drill. It's easier to be control and a lot easier to aim compared to the big machine but of cos your hand must be super steady either wise there goes your board. Might not be able to use it if its not done properly.

Took me a while to drill the holes and i start soldering.

From the top view

Soldering skill

A group photo of our product =D

It felt so good, when your name or initial is printed on it. Click on the image to see the names and initials. =) The best part is our circuit all WORKS.

Got a little bit of problem when soldering it. After that I got the flow and its very easy compared to the verro board.

So after the workshop, I'm still thinking weather to use a verro board or this new PCB knowledge in the future.

A Verro Board

No comments: